Raspberry Pi 2 Model B: simply more powerful!
Having tested, built and played with robotics kits such as the GoPiGo based on the Raspberry Pi B+ and its predecessors, we were very happy to hear about the release of the Raspberry Pi 2 Model B.
How could we not be? Featuring a quad-core processor and 1 GB of RAM, this ultimate version will give you all the power you need to run resource-intensive applications such as video games and GPS systems and can even play high definition audio and video files.
What’s more, the new Raspberry Pi 2 Model B is fully backward compatible with all your Raspberry Pi Model B+ projects.
Strengths of the Raspberry Pi 2 Model B
This board is almost identical to the previous Raspberry Pi Model B+, except for its Broadcom BCM2836 Arm7 quad-core processor running at 900 MHz and the 1 GB of RAM. The latest version has the same layout and footprint as the Model B+, so all cases (like Pi-Case, Clear Raspberry-Pi case) and 3rd party add-on boards designed for the Model B+ will be fully compatible.
Microsoft enthusiasts will be delighted to know that this version is also compatible with Windows 10. The Raspberry Pi 2 Foundation has announced that Windows 10 will be available free of charge to all proud owners of the Raspberry Pi 2.
You’ll also find:
- 4 × USB 2.0 ports
- 4 stereo and composite video outputs
- HMDI port
- CSI camera port for connecting the Raspberry Pi camera
- DSI display port for connecting the Raspberry Pi capacitive screen
- MicroSD port for loading your operating system and storing data on a microSD card
Technical specifications of the Raspberry Pi 2 Model B
- Chip (SoC): Broadcom BCM2836
- Processor: ARM Cortex-A7 (ARM v7 instruction set) quad-core at 900 MHz
- Graphics processor: Broadcom VideoCore IV63, OpenGL ES 2.0, MPEG-2 and VC-1 (licensed), 1080p30 h.264/MPEG-4 AVC high-profile decoder and encoder
- Memory (SDRAM): 1 GB LPDDR2
- Number of USB 2.0 ports: 4
- Video outputs: HDMI and jack (via a Composite PAL/NTSC converter)
- Audio outputs: 3.5 mm stereo jack (5.1 audio out on the HDMI jack) and composite
- Data storage: MicroSD card
- Network connection: 10/100 Ethernet
- Peripherals: 17 x GPIO
- Supply: 5 V via micro-B USB
- Dimensions: 85.60 mm × 53.98 mm × 17 mm
- Weight: 45 g